Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Current and Recent Reads


Over the past couple-three months I haven't really read much. I've been focusing my free time on playing Guild Wars 2, the new MMORPG that released last month, and I've been looking for a job in the Seattle area. I did get a few books in, though. In the interest of time, I'm not going into detail here on these books, just providing a brief comment on each.

Recently Read

Most of the Urban Fantasy I've read, which isn't much, could be described as gritty. Geekomancy, by Michael R. Underwood is more a nerdy Urban Fantasy. It's fun with it's pop-culture references, plot twist, and a female protagonist that doesn't match the Urban Fantasy mold.

The Third Gate, by Lincoln Child, didn't live up to my expectations. Normally, a book from either of the authors of the excellent Pendergast series is always a good read. The Third Gate left me wanting something more from it.

Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves, by Matthew Reilly, is another in the action-movie-as-a-book Scarecrow series. Plenty of edge-of-your-seat, breathless action, and some character development too.


Currently Reading

I have two books I'm reading right now. The Thieves of Legend, by Richard Doetsch, is the fourth book in an excellent on-going series. I feel like I'm slogging through this book though, but not because of any fault of the book - I've just been crazy-busy lately and when I do have free I'm playing Guild Wars 2 instead of reading. More on this book maybe once I've finished it and can give it a proper mention. The Thieves of Legend is scheduled to be published on November 27, 2012.

The other book I'm reading was a birthday gift from my wife: The Chamber of Ten, by Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon. This isn't a new book, but the blurb sounded interesting so I added it to my wish list.


Thanks to Edelwiess for providing ebook copies of both Geekomancy and The Thieves of Legend for review.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe