Monday, November 7, 2011

Collector's Editions of Beloved Books

I read T.H. White's The Once and Future King a few years ago... maybe around 15 years ago - it's been awhile. I remember enjoying it. I read it when I was on that binge: fiction and non-fiction Arthurian material alike.

I read T.H. White's book because I had heard the Disney movie The Sword and The Stone was based on it, but the movie was aimed at young children and the book is not. In fact, the book goes well beyond where the Disney flick ends. We get to watch Wart grow into the true king, we meet Guinevere and Lancelot, and the other knights, we meet the hilarious King Pellinore and his life-long chase after the questing beast, "hello, what?", and so much more.

Ace and Roc Books recently republished The Once and Future King in a trade paperback Collector's Edition. Their news release says the Broadway production Camelot was based on this book - I didn't know that (I kinda want to see it now). The book club podcast, The Sword and Laser read The Once and Future King as one of their club pics recently too.

Ace and Roc also republished The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle, in a tpb Collector's Edition. The Last Unicorn is about a unicorn fearing she's the last of her kind and sets out to learn the truth. Helping her on her quest are a magician, a traveler, and an evil king. I've never read that, but I've heard it's good, and I should hunt down a copy and give it a read.

If you're a fan of special collector's editions, or need to replace the aged, worn out, well-read copies you already own, look these up. If I had room in my house, I most certainly would!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe