Saturday, August 13, 2011

Recent Reads Summer 2011

It's called Sporadic Reviews for a reason. ;-)

I've been slacking on writing reviews lately, but I'll get some posted soon. This summer I've had some crazy schedules at work, had a week-long class out-of-town followed by a week-long vacation with the family to Disney World, as well as back to school prep for my kiddos, and participating in the beta of HellGate:London - my plate has been full.


I have got some reading in, though. Here's a list and a brief comment on each:

Genesis Unbound, by John Sailhammer. Theologian gives his interpretation of the Genesis Creation account. I can see his point on some things, but don't agree with everything. He repeats himself A LOT.

A Soldier's Duty, by Jean Johnson. I kept wanting to not like the premise of this military SF book, but I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the rest of the series.

Little Fuzzy, by H. Beam Piper. Classic SF from Project Gutenberg. Good stuff.

The Messiah Secret, by James Becker. Good story right up until the ending was dragged out too much. And the titular Secret was ridiculous.

The Snow Queen's Shadow, by Jim C. Hines. Bittersweet end of the series. Good book, but hard to see a beloved character put through that.

Long Eyes and other stories, by Jeff Carlson. Good short-form SF. I hope to read more from him.

The Frozen Sky, by Jeff Carlson. More good SF. I kept thinking I knew what was coming next, and I was surprised I didn't! I like that.

I think that catches me up.

I'll have reviews of the Jeff Carlson and Jean Johnson material up... well, sporadically. Long Eyes, and The Frozen Sky were both provided to me by the author for review. A Soldier's Duty was provided to me by the publisher for review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe