Thursday, June 2, 2011

Book Review: City Of Ruins

Okay... so I'm on a sci-fi kick. I'm a little burnt out on fantasy lately but I've been absolutely loving the SF I've been reading. City of Ruins continues that streak.

When I read Diving Into The Wreck on a whim last year, I absolutely loved it, but for some reason I didn't expect a sequel. I'm glad I was wrong, City of Ruins continues the far future story of Boss and her search for extremely ancient stealth tech. The mission of her company is to hopefully understand and be able to use this stealth technology before the Empire can, and then to share that technology with every government to keep the playing field level, so the Empire can't gain an unfair advantage and take over all the smaller governments in the galaxy.

Boss started out (in Diving) as a loner wreck-diver, searching derelicts for tech with a small team as needed where she's the boss and expert. After the events of that story, she's now the head of a company with many employees, many experts in different fields, and lots of red tape to deal with - especially on this mission. Instead of diving a derelict in deep space, she takes a large team planet-side where strange events have been happening that might be caused by stealth tech.

There's so much more to this book, but I don't want to spoil any of it. You have to experience the journey for yourself.

I mean that. You have to go buy it now and read it. It's just that good. It ends on a perfect note: the series could end satisfactorily here, or there could many more stories told (in fact, there are other stories already within this universe, but I haven't had the chance to read them yet). My only vague spoiler that I'll give is this: Boss should be careful what she wishes for.

City of Ruins was provided to me by the publisher for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe