Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Movie Review


My first review on a book review blog, and it's a movie. Way to go me.



I went to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader yesterday with some friends, and I have to say, while it didn't stick to the book as well as I would have liked, I was pleased. It did a good job of explaining the plot to somebody who has not read the books or watched the movies for a while.

The newest addition to the cast, Eustace Scrubb (Will Poulter,) has a story of his own. We get to see his character develop throughout the movie when he goes through many trials. He starts out as a stereotypical "Snobby Rich Kid," but moves on to being somebody that Edmund (Skander Keynes) and Lucy Pevensie (Georgie Henley) are glad to have along on their journey.

Throughout the movie, the characters are mainly dealing with their own inner darkness. Lucy struggles with something many girls her age deal with, wanting to be prettier. She continues on but soon learns that she is great the way she is. Edmund deals with his lust for power, continuously remembering the offer the White Witch made him long ago. Caspian (Ben Barnes) also deals with the thought that he is not living up to his father's expectations, and that he is not a good ruler.

The quote near the end of the movie, pulled straight from the book, is one worth mentioning. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe