Friday, August 27, 2010

Fifty-Five Questions

Here's a meme from Carrie. I figured I'd do it too to pass the time whilst I procrastinate on the reviews I need to write for some of the books I've finished recently. Keep an eye for those reviews to come soonish (maybe tomorrow!).

I think I've probably answered this meme before, most of the questions look familiar. But hey, I'm procrastinating here, so on with the not posting of reviews.

1. Favorite childhood book?
Are you my mother?

2. What are you reading right now?
The Osiris Ritual

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
At the moment, none. But I need to rectify that as thre area bunch of books coming out soon that I want to read.

4. Bad book habit?
Buying used or swapping for books instead of purchasing new to support the author.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Right now I have stuff checked out from the library for everyone in the family but me! I've too much on my TBR pile.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No, I want one.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
One at a time. Rarely, if I'm reading a book and another I've been aticipating comes available, I might put one down to read the one I've been waiting for and then go back to the other after finishing.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No that I've noticed.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
anything I started and didn't finish.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Hmmm... not sure, too many good ones to pick from.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Rarely, unless I get a specifically interesting book from a publisher for a review.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Speculative Fiction, science fiction/fatasy, action/adventure, thrillers/techno-thrillers, a little paranormal (but not paranormal romance), suspense, and Christian Fiction in those same genres.

13. Can you read on the bus?
What bus? There's a bus? Why am I on a bus and where am I going? I mean: yes. I can read just about anywhere as long as there is light to read by.

14. Favorite place to read?
In a comfy chair with my darling wife near me reading as well.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
Give it back or I keel you! In truth, I rarely lend books except to Rubi and the kids, because my books either come from the library, or are not of interest to anyone I know.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

18. Not even with text books?
Thought it's been well over a decade since I had use of a text book, if I knew I wasn't going to reselling the book, I'd be fine with marking it up, otherwise, no.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
Geek.

20. What makes you love a book?
If I really enjoyed it and it made me feel for the characters.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
See above.

22. Favorite genre?
See question 12.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
anything considered "literature" (which I read as "boring").

24. Favorite biography?
The only biography I can remember reading was Paul Reiser's autobiography.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
If Christian devotionals count as self-help, then yes.

26. Favorite cookbook?
Whatever Rubi is cooking from at the moment.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Can't recall being inspired by any books I've read this year.

28. Favorite reading snack?
I usually prefer not to eat at all while reading.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Hmmm... I can't say that hype ever ruined my reading experience. Perhaps the quality of book ruined my hype experience though.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Depends on the book. Usually I don't read "critics", I just read book bloggers.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
If I've been asked to review a book and I didn't like it I'll say so. If I read a book for my own enjoyment and don't enjoy it, it depends on how disappointed I was and the reason for the disappointment.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Literature and non-fiction are like a foreign language to me.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
I can't think of one at the moment. Probably something that had hype behind it.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
The Wind-up Girl.

35. Favorite poet?
I tend not to read poetry, unless it shows up within the context of a novel - such as in the Dragonlance series.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
More than one and often several. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

37. How often have you returned a book to the library unread?
Probably rather frequently (see #36), as I often grab stacks of what looks interesting and just can't find the time to get to them all before they're due back.

38. Favorite fictional character?
I like the two main characters from Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict series and his Priscilla Hutchins character.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
The Vorgon.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever is on my TBR pile.

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
A few weeks maybe?

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
This year, one book I couldn't finish was The Desert Spear. I just couldn't get into it. I might try again at some point.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Life.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
I guess the easy answer is The Lord Of The Rings trilogy or the Narnia films.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
The Hitchhikers Guide to The Universe.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Can't remember.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I don't. I only skim while I'm reading a book.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If I didn't like it. Or if the plane I was reading on crashed. Or if it was time to go run errands and I had to put the book down. Or if the world ended before I finished the book.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Depends on your definition of "organized".

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
It depends on the book. Some I will keep either because I plan on reading them again or want my kids to read them. Others I'll throw in my PaperbackSwap pile.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Well I get many recommendations, but don't always read what's been recommended.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
I can't think of one.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Many of the self-published books I've read I started out thinking I wouldn't like them (due to the self-publishing preconception), but I've come away having really enjoyed them. I mentioned in a recent review that I think the quality of Self-published/POD books can be better than what you get from a big publishing house. Not always mind you, but sometimes.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Most of the Star Wars books recently have been less than adequate.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Probably Star Wars or Star Trek fiction. Oh wait, those are probably guilty pleasures - not guilt-free.


That's the meme. Look forward to some new reviews soon!

1 comment:

  1. I really want to read Wind-Up Girl - my friend just bought it, so I'll borrow it from her.

    And, I completely forgot about the hideous Hitchhiker's Guide movie. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Search Engine Submission - AddMe