Friday, November 7, 2008

Another Book Meme

A book meme that I'm sure I've done before, I found this at Mommy Brain's Book Review Blog (Happy Birthday Carrie!).

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?

Any. But I kinda have a soft-spot for Trade Paperbacks - maybe because that's what a lot of the Christian Fiction I read comes out in.

Bookmark or dog-ear?

*GASP* Dog-Ear?! NEVER! Always use a bookmark - or remember the page number!

Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?

IN a perfect world, alphabetical by author, subdivided by series chronologically. In the real world: Tossed on a shelf.

Keep, throw away or sell?

Never throw-away unless it's just totally trashed from being read over and over. Sometimes sell, usually trade off at Paperbackswap.com.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?

Always retain the dust jacket unless Rubi loses it.

Last book you bought?

I honestly can't remember. Most of the books I've read recently have either come from the library or Paperbackswap.com

Last book someone bought for you?

I don't recall. I'm sure it was one of those little gift-books like "I love my dad because" or something.

What are some of the books on your to-buy list?

I really don't buy books that often anymore (shame on me, I know! I shoould support my favorite authors). I would definitely love to by the latest Age of Fire novel by E. E. KNight, that's a great series and one I'd let my kids read when they're a little older.

Collection (short stories, same author) or anthology (short stories, different author)?

I've never been a short-story fan. Of course, all the short stories I recall reading were from the "golden age" of sci-fi, back when Asimov was at the top of his game, and all the short stories I read from that time period always seemed contrived, or moody. I think I've read some Trek short stories in the SCE series - I guess those count as short fiction.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?

I wasn't crazy about Potter and stopped at the 3rd chapter of the 3rd book. I've never read Lemony Snicket, but my oldest daughter enjoyed the series.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading?

Absolutely: Morning, noon, and night! Whenever I get a chance. I love to stay up way past my bedtime finishing an excellent novel and then not being able to fall asleep because I'm disappointed it's over.

The books you need to go with other books on your shelves?

Hmm... the rest of the Age Of Fire Series by E. E. Knight. The rest of the Laodecia Chronicles and the other series by Sharon K. Gilbert.

Do you read anywhere and anytime you can or do you have a set reading time and/or place?

Whenever, where ever I can. I can't read book while I'm at work though.

Do you have seasonal reading habits?

Not that I've noticed.

Do you read one book at a time or do you have two or more books going at once?

Usually one book at a time. Though, if I own a book and while I'm reading it I get a library book and have to to the library soon, I'll stop the one I've read and read the library book because there's a time limit - then get back to the other book.

What are your pet peeves about the way people treat books?

Dog-ear, food fingerprints, dead bugs inside, other things found inside books that I'd rather not mention.

Name one book you surprised yourself by liking.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying the Vampire Earth series by E. E. Knight. It's a post-apocolyptic Earth setting, and I usually don't like those. But I liked his Age of Fire books so much, I thought I'd give VE a try, and now I'm caught up and can't wait for the next book!

How often do you read a book and not review it on your blog? What are your reasons for not blogging about a book?

Often. I read many books that I don't feel like writing a review about and I would kinda feel bad just writing "today I read the latest Star Trek book. It was good. Yes, I'm a geek." But then there are books that I think others might really enjoy, and I want to get the word out, or I read a book that I expected to be really good and was sorely disappointed and also want to get the word out. Actually, I can only think of two negative reviews that I've given.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that you remember exactly where you quit reading Harry Potter! You should give short fiction another try - there's some really good stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By that point, I had said to myself "This book is exactly the same as the first two books! Why I am reading this again?!" So I stopped.

    You're correct - I probably should read more short fiction. It'd fit my schedule better!

    ReplyDelete

Search Engine Submission - AddMe