Monday, April 21, 2014

Arrow binge-watch

I've finally taken the plunge and started watching the CW's Arrow. The show is currently in it's second season on broadcast TV and has been renewed for a 3rd. It's based on the DC Comics "Green Arrow" property.

I'm only about half-way through the first season, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'd followed the news about the show as it came out, so I knew a lot about the show already going in. I knew, it being a CW show, that it would be full of interpersonal drama with some subtle and not-so-subtle comic-book elements thrown in. I was watching one episode and realized how soap-opera-like the show is, the dialogue and even the camera work. It's like two different shows: the soap opera, and the superhero show. Which I guess is exactly what it's supposed to be. My wife came in during the episode after my realization of that, and said "This is a soap opera. You're a woman now!"

The fun comic-book-based elements make up for the teen drama parts that are sometimes oh-so-sappy. The action scenes are well-choreographed and filmed well for a CW show. As there are no super-powers involved (other than trick arrows), there's no need for bad TV special effects like on Smallville.

I particularly enjoy the flashbacks to Oliver Queen's 5 years stranded on an island. The use of those adds a depth to the story telling... if only the actor playing him didn't stare off in the instant just before a flashback occurred. That's when you can see the directing in the acting.

I plan on finishing up the first season soon, and if the second season is on Netflix or Hulu, watching that as well, if it hooks me enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe