Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Book Review: Adam & Eve

I hate giving bad reviews, but since I asked to read this book and was given a copy for review I have to be honest.  IJustFinished provided Adam & Eve for me to review.

I'm not sure what to say about this book. The description sounded interesting so I gave it a chance (the description gave it a kind of Da Vinci Code kind of feel). It just didn't do it for me though.


A scientist discovers proof of extraterrestrial life. A discovery in the Holy Land of an ancient text that contradicts the biblical book of Genesis.(I enjoy seeing how authors approach this topic.) A group from all three major religions that will stop at nothing to keep those secret. ...and a man (Adam) and woman (Lucy) that end up naked in a desert oasis seemingly just to have a naked man and woman in the story to give it that Adam and Eve feel.

You almost had me at first there.

To be fair, this book is not my usual genre.

The plot had an almost dream-like randomness to it. Characters seem to do things with no motivation. Seriously? A woman crash lands her plane and all her clothes burn off. Convenient for the plot. She decides to stay in the oasis for months with a crazy man she's never met before that thinks he's the biblical Adam? And she's okay with this? There's a feral boy that feeds sheep hearts to unconscious people. Characters show up to advance the story and then disappear or die. My favorite character was the old mule-riding father of Pierre.

There's some action in the book towards the end when the bad guys finally show up for a short chase through some caves.  If the book had ended with Lucy waking up from a nap and realizing she was late for her lunch date with her husband, I would have believed the book more. Otherwise, it just didn't work.

1 comment:

  1. Liked your style of writing. Interesting blog you have. I heard about the book before as well but wasn't sure whether to go for it or not but now I am definitely not going to buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Search Engine Submission - AddMe