Sunday, May 23, 2010

Recent Reads May 2010

After a recent trip to the library where I was supposed to pick up one book for my wife, I ended up with so many books for myself I had to buy a tote bag from the library to carry them all! I’ve been on a reading kick since then in my spare time.
Some of my recent reads include:

Diving Into The Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.  I really enjoyed this first-person sci-fi adventure about a space-wreck diver that finds scary tech in an ancient abandoned spaceship.

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez. This is the sequel to Daemon where the internet takes over the world. Not as good as Daemon, but still quite enjoyable.

Terminal Freeze by Lincoln Child. Good suspense/thriller set in the arctic north. Interesting ending!

The Templar Cross by Paul Christopher. Oh. This is a book in the middle of series. Relies heavily on previous installments but handles it well. Good action story, but the titular item only really shows up at the very end to set up the next book. Good book except for being just a set up for the next one.

Fever Dreams by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The latest novel featuring FBI Special Agent Pendergast finds the unusual agent and his unusual methodology delving into his own past to investigate the murder of his wife years ago.  I absolutely love the Preston/Child Pendergast series, but this one just didn't do it for me. Felt like a jumble of scenes and ideas that needed more working to make a cohesive whole. Especially the subplot involving Pendergast's ward. It has some good parts, but those parts fail to make a good book. I was disappointed in this outing.

I'm currently in the middle of A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and struggling. I've heard so many good things about this series I figured I'd give it a shot. But at times it's a chore. More on that when I'm finished reading it.

My TBR stack doesn't seem any smaller after reading those (maybe because I put these back on the shelf next to the TBR pile to remind me to write this post). If any of the books left on my stack are worth reporting on, I'll be back with some comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe