Sunday, November 15, 2009

Book Review: The Watchers



I'm pretty sure I read a previous novel by this author called The Assignment and thought it was awesome (but reading the blurb at Amazon.com, it only vaguely sounds familiar). Recalling it as an awesome book, I recently went looking for something else to read by that author. At PaperBackSwap.com I found The Watchers, and decided to give it a read.

The main character, Abby, is a young California beach girl with a strong Christian faith. One night, she has a dream vision of a prophetess in Jerusalem seeing Mary and Joseph walking by with the baby Jesus and swears it was real. Before posting to her blog about it, she falls asleep. Her housekeeper is murdered and Abby gets poisoned and is slowly dying. A ancient organization of evil hires a contract assassin to find her and finish the job. But before he can, she posts her blog, has another vision, starts seeing the spiritual warfare going on all around her, gets on national TV, and soon is off on a world-spanning adventure seeking the reasons for her visions.

It took me a bit to get into the story, I'm not sure why. But I stuck through with it to end and I'm glad I did. There are great scenes of spiritual warfare between human prayer warriors and the powers and principalities of this world.

I like stories that acknowledge there's more to Christianity than going to church on Sunday. There's a war that's been raging since Eden with one side trying to convince the world that we can become god ourselves, and unfortunately, the other side is mostly doing nothing. However, there are a few spiritual warriors on their knees petitioning God through the blood of Jesus Christ for intercession against these powers and principalities. And even though we can't see it, the supernatural forces on both sides are fighting unseen for our souls all around us. Really, who needs fiction when you have that in reality!

Okay, I do like me some fiction. And these stories of the ultimate evil versus the Creator-God make some good reading.

Apparently The Watchers is the first of a series. I think I'll have to give the next book in the series, The Warriors, a try.



Disclaimer of Disclaiming: Sometimes publishers or authors give me their book or product free so I can review it. I didn't get this book from the publisher or the author ;-( I ordered it for my own enjoyment from PaperBackSwap. The product links in the reviews take you to Amazon.com, where if you buy the linked item I get a very small percentage of the purchase (because I like cash).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe