Saturday, October 11, 2008

Book Review: Iron Dragons

Wow. That pretty much sums up my reaction to reading this book.

Derek P. Gilbert's first published novel is nothing short of excellent. To be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be this good... and I'm tempted to say it's even better than the two novels I've read by his wife.

Iron Dragons is a "fantasy" novel in that it's set in a medieval-type world with dragons, inns along the road, and plenty of ale to knock out the itinerant dragon-slayer. Throw a crazy ragamuffin dog, a priest that's either incredibly brave or incredibly thoughtless, a stable-hand that is quite the man of the world, and another interesting* character or two, and you've got an excellent read. There's action, humor, character development, excellent world-building. And the writing-style is excellent.

Go buy this book. Now.

*I can't explain additional interesting characters or plot twists, as it would so spoil the fun!


Note: This review was originally published on my family blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe